Organizing for Operations
Organizing for operations involves making transportation systems management and operations (TSM&O) a central part of an agency’s mission and institutional structure. This is accomplished by advancing TSM&O programs and projects within the agency. A specific guidance framework has been developed to help transportation agencies improve the effectiveness of their TSM&O activities. The framework, the "Operations Capability Improvement Process," is based on self-evaluation regarding the key process and institutional capabilities required from a transportation agency (or group of agencies) to achieve effective TSM&O.
This framework is adapted from a concept developed in the information technology (IT) industry called the "Capability Maturity Model," which has been tailored to the transportation community. It is based on self-evaluation regarding the key process and institutional capabilities required from a transportation agency (or group of agencies) to achieve effective TSM&O. The Operations Capability Improvement Process identifies six critical dimensions of process and institutional capability that directly relate to improving TSM&O program effectiveness: business processes (e.g., planning, budgeting); standardization/documentation of systems and technology; utilization of performance measures; cultural understanding, acceptance, and championship of TSM&O relevance; organizational structure and staff development; and effective external collaboration and partnerships.
- Business Process Frameworks for TSM&O
- E-tool for Business Processes to Improve Travel Time Reliability
- Organizing for Reliability – Capability Maturity Model Assessment and Implementation Plans Executive Summary
- Improving Business Processes for More Effective Transportation Systems Management and Operations
- Improving Transportation Systems Management and Operations – Capability Maturity Model Workshop White Papers
- AASHTO Transportation Systems Management and Operations Guidance
- SHRP 2 Report S2-L06-RR-1: Institutional Architectures to Improve Systems Operations and Management
- SHRP 2 Report S2-L06-RR-2: Guide to Improving Capability for Systems Operations and Management
- SHRP 2 Report S2-L01-RR-1: Integrating Business Processes to Improve Travel Time Reliability
- SHRP 2 Report S2-L01-RR-2: Guide to Integrating Business Processes to Improve Travel Time Reliability
- SHRP2 Solutions Regional Operations in the 21st Century – A Vital Role for MPOs
- SHRP2 Operations in the 21st Century DOT – Meeting Customers Needs and Expectations