The U.S. Department of Transportation Organizing and Planning for Operations Program supports the integration of Transportation Systems Management and Operations strategies into the planning process and transportation organizations for the purpose of improving transportation system efficiency, reliability, and options. This program is led by the Office of Operations and Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in coordination with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), which work with metropolitan planning organizations, State and local departments of transportation, transit agencies, and other organizations to maximize the performance of existing infrastructure through multimodal and multi-agency programs and projects.
- Learn more about Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO).
- Learn more about planning for operations.
|Resources Helpful to...
- Planning for TSMO Practitioner Reference
- New Training: Planning for Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO)
- Communicating the Role of and Value of TSMO to Other Programs
- TSMO: Getting More from Our Existing System Infographic
- Recent FHWA Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) Resources
- Current FHWA Organizing and Planning for Operations Activities
- Advancing Transportation Demand Management in Resort Towns and Communities
- TSMO – Harnessing the Value of Transportation System Performance
- Coordination of Information Technology and TSMO
- TSMO Benefits Infographic
- Local Agency Operations Resources
- Recent TSMO Resources and Program Activities
- Mainstreaming TSMO: Examples of Integrating TSMO Across a Transportation Agency
- Performance-Based Planning and Programming
- Designing for Operations
- Regional ITS Architecture and ITS Strategic Plans
- Systems Engineering and ITS Project Development
- Livability, Sustainability and Smart Cities
- Active Transportation and Demand Management
- Traffic Signal Programs
- Corridor Management
- Transportation Demand Management
- Traffic Incident Management
- Travel Time Reliability