Case Studies and Examples
- Case Study #1 - Operations Strategy Impact Reference and Deployment Guidance (HTML, PDF 1.4MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-10-002, September 2009).
- Case Study #2 - Incorporating Highway Capacity Manual Procedures into Long-Range Transportation Planning (HTML, PDF 1.4MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-10-003, September 2009).
- Case Study #3 - Using Archived Data As a Tool for Operations Planning (HTML, PDF 2.8MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-10-004, September 2009).
- Case Study #4 - Application of Microsimulation in Combination with Travel Demand Models (HTML, PDF 1.6MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-10-005, September 2009).
- Case Studies of the Congestion Management Process (HTML) – This series of in-depth case studies is a companion to the guidebook and focuses on the Congestion Management Process (CMP) at seven metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs) around the country.
- Developing Decisionmaker Support for Management and Operations at MetroPlan Orlando, Case Study (HTML, PDF 1.6MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-10-056, November 2010).
- The How: Case Studies Advancing Planning for Operations – Best Practices Illustrating the Benefits of Planning for Operations. A strategic approach to planning for operations that is guided by specific objectives and regular performance measurement will help ensure that the most effective operations strategies are incorporated into transportation plans. In many regions around the country, agencies are already applying elements of this approach in a variety of ways. The case studies below are just some of the examples of where this is being done.
- Capital District Transportation Committee Albany, New York, Case Study (HTML, PDF 323KB) – Placing the Congestion Management Process in the Context of Metropolitan Transportation Planning Goals and Objectives (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-043, April 2009).
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission Philadelphia Metropolitan Region, Case Study (HTML, PDF 305KB) – Planning for Congestion Management and Tracking Progress (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-044, April 2009).
- The Denver Region Traffic Signal System Improvement Program Case Study (HTML, PDF 324KB) – Planning for Management and Operations (Denver, Colorado area) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-046, April 2009).
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission San Francisco Bay Area Case Study (HTML, PDF 455KB) – Developing Regional Objectives and Performance Measures to Improve System Operations (San Francisco Bay Area, California) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-047, April 2009).
- Pima Association of Governments Case Study (HTML, PDF 402KB) – Regional Concept for Transportation Operations Fosters Planning For Operations in the Tucson Metropolitan Area (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-048, April 2009).
- Wilmington Area Planning Council New Castle County, Delaware and Cecil County, Maryland Case Study (HTML, PDF 340KB) – A Performance-Based Approach to Integrating Congestion Management into the Metropolitan Planning Process (Newark, Delaware area) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-045, April 2009).
- Outcomes-Based, Performance-Driven Planning at Metro Portland, Case Study (HTML, PDF 2.5MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-10-055, November 2010).
- Programming for Operations: MPO Examples of Prioritizing and Funding Transportation Systems Management & Operations Strategies (HTML, PDF 1.4MB) – The Programming for Operations: MPO Examples of Prioritizing and Funding Transportation Systems Management & Operations Strategies report discusses how metropolitan planning organizations have incorporated transportation systems management and operations projects into the programming phase of transportation investment decision making in metropolitan areas.
- The Use of an Objectives-Driven, Performance-Based Approach at the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission (HTML, PDF 1.6MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-10-054, November 2010).
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission Transportation Operations Master Plan
- Denver Regional Council of Governments Regional Concept of Transportation Operations
- Intelligent Transportation Systems Strategic Plan for Greater Rochester, Genesee Transportation Council, February 2011.
- Metro Regional Government, Regional Transportation System Management and Operations Plan, Portland, Oregon, June 2010.
- Regional Transportation Operations Plan for Southeastern Wisconsin: 2012 - 2016.