Performance Measures and System Monitoring
Performance measures and system performance monitoring are crucial components of planning for operations. Performance measures are indicators of how well the transportation system is performing and are used in several ways in the objectives-driven, performance-based approach to planning for operations:
- Track progress toward operations objectives
- Identify needs and system performance deficiencies
- Assess potential impacts of management and operations (M&O) strategies
- Evaluate effects of implemented projects
- Communicate progress to stakeholders
Performance measures are inextricably tied to operations objectives. An operations objective typically has a performance measure embedded in it that can be used to assess whether or not the objective has subsequently been achieved.
There are many reasons to monitor and evaluate transportation system performance and the success of implemented strategies – most importantly, monitoring and evaluation helps to inform better transportation decisions. With the information gathered from monitoring and evaluating the system, an agency can gain a better understanding of current system performance needs, measure regional success in achieving operations objectives, and fine-tune project and program implementation and operation. An important role of monitoring and evaluation is also to assess whether the objectives may need adjustments. Finally, data from monitoring and evaluation can be used to help calibrate and refine existing planning tools and models.
- FHWA Office of Operations – Operations Performance Measurement
- SHRP 2 L02: Establishing Monitoring Programs for Travel Time Reliability Project Site
- SHRP 2 L05 Incorporating Reliability Performance Measures into the Transportation Planning and Programming Processes Project Site
- FHWA Performance-Based Planning Case Study: Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (HTML)
- NCHRP Report 664: Measuring Transportation Network Performance, 2010.
- The Use of Operations Objectives and Performance Measures in Private and Public Organizations (HTML, PDF 82KB)
- NCHRP Report 618: Cost-Effective Performance Measures for Travel Time Delay, Variation, and Reliability, 2008.