Operations Performance Measurement
Final Rule on System Performance Measures
The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration has published the final rulemaking for new performance measures to assess system performance, freight movement, and the CMAQ program. The regulation calls for an increased level of transparency and accountability in establishing and achieving targets for performance impacting commuters and truck drivers.
For more information, please visit FHWA's Office of Transportation Performance Management.
Urban Congestion Trend Reports for 2016 Available
The 2016 Urban Congestion Trend annual report is now available, providing annual congestion and reliability measure trend information as well as highlighting evaluations of successful operations strategies.
Performance measurement is the use of evidence to determine progress toward specific defined organizational objectives. This includes both quantitative evidence (such as the measurement of customer travel times) and qualitative evidence (such as the measurement of customer satisfaction and customer perceptions).
Operations performance measurement, therefore, measures progress toward meeting the objectives of transportation system management and operations. Although the specific objectives of management and operations activities vary among organizations, most relate to the overall goals of transportation mobility, productivity, and safety.
The FHWA Office of Operations is leading numerous activities to advance the implementation and practice of operations performance measurement at the Federal, State, and local level:
- Urban Congestion Reports
A quarterly snapshot of traffic congestion and reliability trends at the national and city level, developed using archived traffic operations data.
- Urban Congestion Trends and Related Reports
Technical reports that communicate recent trends in congestion as well as strategies to manage congestion and improve mobility.
- Travel Time Reliability Measures
Guidance documents on the need for, calculation of, and implementation of travel time reliability measures.
The following pages provide links to information and resources to assist in implementing operations performance measurement:
- Performance Measurement Fundamentals
- Examples of Performance Measurement Programs
- Operations Performance Measurement Research
- Relevant Resources and Publications
National Performance Management Research Data Set (NPMRDS) Information
FHWA has acquired a second (v2) national data set of average travel times on the National Highway System for use in its performance measures and management activities. This data set is also available to State Departments of Transportation and Metropolitan Planning Organizations to use for their performance management activities. The data set will be available monthly.
NPMRDS v2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
For questions about the NPMRDS v2, please send an e-mail to:
Quarterly NPMRDS Technical Assistance Webinars
To view previous webinar sessions, please select the link(s) below:
Introduction to NPMRDS
Archived Quarterly Technical Assistance Webinar
- November 1, 2013 – Webinar Presentation
- February 12, 2014 – Webinar Recording
- May 15, 2014 – Webinar Recording
- August 14, 2014 – Webinar Recording
- November 13, 2014 – Webinar Recording
- February 5, 2015 – Webinar Recording
- May 5, 2015 – Webinar Recording
- August 5, 2015*
- November 3, 2015 – Webinar Recording
- February 10, 2016 – Webinar Recording
- May 10, 2016 – Webinar Recording
- August 9, 2016*
- November 1, 2016 – Webinar Recording
- February 9, 2017 – Webinar Recording
- May 4, 2017 – Webinar Recording
- July 20, 2017 – Webinar Recording
- November 7, 2017 – Webinar Recording