Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) Plans
Several regions in the United States have found it useful to develop a plan focused on transportation systems management and operations (TSMO) in the region. The plans are often then used as either an addendum to the metropolitan transportation plan (MTP) or provide input to the overall plan in terms of operations goals, objectives, performance measures, strategies, and projects or programs. During the development of a TSMO plan, management and operations stakeholders and planners work together to define a common vision for transportation system operations in the region, develop operations objectives to guide the selection of M&O strategies, and identify performance measures that will enable them to track progress toward their objectives. Participants also develop strategies and potential projects or programs to reach those objectives. They then seek out resources to support the projects often by working within the region’s planning and programming processes.
A TSMO program plan has all of these elements:
- Strategic – such as the business case for TSMO, vision and program mission, goals and performance objectives
- Programmatic – such as leadership and organizational structure, staffing and workforce needs, business processes
- Tactical – such as TSMO projects and services, implementation policies
What is TSMO?
The U.S. Department of Transportation Organizing and Planning for Operations Program supports the integration of Transportation Systems Management and Operations strategies into the planning process and transportation organizations for the purpose of improving transportation system efficiency, reliability, and options. This program is led by the Office of Operations and Office of Planning, Environment, & Realty of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in coordination with the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), which work with metropolitan planning organizations, State and local departments of transportation, transit agencies, and other organizations to maximize the performance of existing infrastructure through multimodal and multi-agency programs and projects.
EXAMPLES AND OTHER RESOURCES
- Developing and Sustaining a Transportation Systems Management & Operations Mission for Your Organization: A Primer For Program Planning
- Iowa DOT TSMO Program Plan (PDF 6.6MB)
- Metro Regional Government, Regional Transportation System Management and Operations Plan, Portland, Oregon, June 2010.
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission Transportation Operations Master Plan
- Denver Regional Council of Governments Regional Concept of Transportation Operations
- Regional Transportation Operations Plan for Southeastern Wisconsin: 2012 - 2016