Traffic Signal Performance Measures
Traffic Signal Management
- Traffic Signal Management Plans (HTML, PDF 4.8MB) (FHWA-HOP-15-038) - An Objectives and Performance based approach for Improving the Design Operations and Maintenance of Traffic Signal Systems provides step-by-step instructions for documenting current activities, relating them to the agency's goals and transportation objectives, and offers a structure that shows how the activities of all staff involved in traffic signal management support those objectives.
- Improving Traffic Signal Management and Operations: A Basic Service Model (HTML, PDF 284KB) (FHWA-HOP-09-055) - This report provides a guide for achieving a basic service model for traffic signal management and operations. The basic service model is based on simply stated and defensible operational objectives that consider the staffing level, expertise and priorities of the responsible agency. The report includes a Literature Review, which provides a review of the National Traffic Signal Report Card and Self-Assessment, case studies based on agency archetypes that provide an understanding of how agencies deliver traffic signal management services based on their resources and interviews with acknowledged leaders providing support for the basic service concept.
- Traffic Signal Operations and Maintenance Staffing Guidelines (HTML, PDF 821KB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-006) - This report provides a guideline to estimate the staffing and resource needs required to effectively operate and maintain traffic signal systems.
- Developing Traffic Signal Systems Using The National ITS Architecture (PDF 1.3MB) - This document focuses on traffic signal control systems as a key component to ITS deployments.
- NCHRP 560 Guide to Contracting ITS Projects (PDF 883KB) - Guide to Contracting ITS Projects provides guidance on the procurement of intelligent transportation systems (ITS), including variable message signs, traffic detectors, signal controllers, and a variety of other hardware and software that entails applications of advanced electronics and information management to regulate and facilitate traffic flow. The report highlights best practices and recommends contracting strategies and contract types, terms, and conditions for ITS development, integration, system acceptance, warranty, maintenance, and upgrade.
Regional Traffic Signal Operations
- Regional Traffic Signal Operations Programs: An Overview (HTML, PDF 2.3MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-007) - This report provides an overview of practices related to developing and sustaining a Regional Traffic Signal Operations Program.
- Planning for Operations Publications
Traffic Signal Timing & Operations Strategies
- Signal Timing Manual Second Edition, NCHRP Report 812 - Provides guidance to promote a multimodal, objectives and performance based approach to development of traffic signal timing to address the needs of pedestrian, bicycles, transit and automobiles.
- The FHWA Model Systems Engineering Documents for Adaptive Signal Control Technology (ASCT) Systems (HTML, PDF 1.2MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-11-027) - This report was developed to support the Every Day Counts Adaptive Signal Control Technology Initiative. This interim version of the document provides agency professionals with understanding and tools to inform suppliers about what they need and expect from adaptive control by facilitating the alignment of agency objectives, needs and requirements. The goal of the FHWA Every Day Counts ASCT is to mainstream the use of ASCT where traffic conditions and agency resources support and can sustain implementation.
- Traffic Signal Preemption at Intersections Near Highway–Rail Grade Crossings - NCHRP Synthesis 507 - This NCHRP Synthesis documents the current practices of traffic signal preemption deployed at intersections adjacent to railway grade crossing in both the United States and Canada. The study provides information on practices dealing with traffic signal preemption, maintenance, funding, and operations.
- Traffic Signal Timing On a Shoestring (HTML, PDF 1MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-07-006) - This effort documents the minimum amount of data collection and optimization that should be performed in a signal retiming to acquire some appreciable benefits. This is aimed at jurisdiction or municipalities that cannot afford to perform more extensive data collection and analysis.
- Traffic Signal Timing Process (HTML, DOC 458KMB) - This report identifies the steps that are required to time traffic signals and activities that result in improved traffic signal timing.
- Signal Timing Under Saturated Conditions (HTML, PDF 2.6MB) (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-09-008) - This report provides guidance to practitioners on effective strategies to mitigate the effects of congestion at signalized intersections.
- Accessible Pedestrian Signals: A Guide to Best Practices, NCHRP Web-Only Document 117A (PDF 7.1MB) - This NCHRP document discusses Accessible Pedestrian Signals, description, application and provides best practices for design, implementation and operation.