Efficient freight movement is a foundational underpinning of our nation's economic strength. Enabling transportation professionals to improve their skills and knowledge to fully integrate freight movement into our transportation systems' development and operation is the objective of the FHWA's Freight Professional Development (FPD) Program.
The FPD Program assists state DOT, MPO, and local agency staffs with gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to meet the challenges arising from the increasing flow of freight on the nation's transportation system. Meeting this challenge requires an understanding among the various stakeholders, including transportation professionals, practitioners and policymakers, of not only how freight uses and affects the transportation system but, more importantly, why freight is important.
The Freight Professional Capacity Building (FPCB) website contains several resources for public sector freight professionals, including:
- Online application to request technical assistance from FHWA, including peer exchanges, connecting with technical experts, webinars, and tailored training opportunities.
- A database of noteworthy practices highlighting different freight planning and operations approaches from agencies across the globe. Users can search the database by topic, State, key word, or year published.
- The State Freight Planning Toolkit, a comprehensive resource for statewide professionals charged with developing and maintaining their state’s federally compliant State Freight Plan. Users will find notable practices, national tools, and the latest research grouped by major steps in the freight planning process.
- FHWA Freight Program Pages, including Freight Performance Measures, Innovative Supply Chain research, and Truck Size and Weight. Here, users can find the latest research and opportunities for each respective program.
- A database of freight-related academic programs, including formal degree-awarding programs as well as standalone training events.
- A freight data library, which links users to all major national and regional freight data sources, including the Freight Analysis Framework, Freight Conditions and Performance reports, network data, trade data, and more.