FHWA Active Transportation and Demand Management Program
The Active Transportation and Demand Management (ATDM) program is intended to support agencies and regions considering moving towards an active management approach. Through customized workshops, tools, guidance documents, resources, and peer exchanges, the program can assist with technical support to implement ATDM strategies. Importantly, ATDM is not an exclusive program restricted to specific agencies. Every agency that is considering moving towards active and dynamic capabilities can benefit from the ATDM program's efforts.
The antecedents of the ATDM program in the United States emerge from international experience with active traffic management on key highways as well as observing how travel demand management and traffic management are more closely integrated in some other countries.
- Increase awareness and understanding of ATDM
- Develop, test, and evaluate strategies
- Provide tools and methods for performance analyses
- Provide tools and methods for benefit/cost analyses
- Training on effective ATDM systems
- Provide deployment guidance to FHWA Division Offices