Guide for Highway Capacity and Operations Analysis of Active Transportation and Demand Management Strategies
- Federal Highway Administration. Ramp Management and Control, A Primer. FHWA-HOP-06-080, Washington, D.C., January 2006
- Federal Highway Administration. Technologies That Complement Congestion Pricing, A Primer. FHWA-HOP-08-043, Washington, D.C., October 2008.
- Federal Highway Administration. Managed Lanes, A Primer. FHWA-HOP-05-031, FHWA, Washington, D.C., 2005.
- Federal Highway Administration and University of Florida. National Signal Timing Optimization Project Summary Evaluation Report. May 1982.
- Perez, B. and G.C. Sciara. A Guide for HOT Lane Development. FHWA-OP-03-009, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C., 2003.
- Levinson, D. and L. Zhang. Ramp Meters on Trial: Evidence from the Twin Cities Metering Holiday. Transportation Research Part A, 40, 2006.
- Zhang, L. and D. Levinson. Ramp Metering and Freeway Bottleneck Capacity. Transportation Research: A Policy and Practice 44(4), May 2010, pp. 218-235.
- Cassidy, M. J. and J. Rudjanakanoknad. Empirical Study of Ramp Metering and Capacity. UCB-ITS-RR-2002-5, Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California, Berkeley, 2002.
- Cambridge Systematics. Twin Cities Ramp Meter Evaluation. Oakland, California., February 2001.
- Jacobson, L., J. Stribiak, L. Nelson, and D. Sallman. Ramp Management and Control Handbook. FHWA-HOP-06-001, U.S. DOT, Washington, D.C., January 2006.
- 2009 MUTCD, Chapter 6I, “Control of Traffic Through Traffic Incident Management Areas,” Accessed January 24, 2012.
- Sullivan, E. C. and J. El Harake. The CA Route 91 Toll Lanes – Observed Impacts and Other Observations. Transportation Research Record 1649, TRB, Washington, D.C., 1998.
- Federal Highway Administration. Benefits of Using Intelligent Transportation Systems in Work Zones: A Summary Report. FHWA-HOP-08-021, Washington, D.C., April 2008.
- Wolshon B. and L. Lambert. NCHRP Synthesis Report 340: Convertible Roadways and Lanes. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2004.
- Chang, M., J. Wiegmann, and C. Billotto. A Compendium of Existing HOV Lane Facilities in the United States. FHWA-HOP-09-030, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C., December 2008.
- Turnbull, K.F. Potential Impact of Exempt Vehicles on HOV Lanes. FHWA-HOP-05-058, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C., 2005.
- Texas Transportation Institute; Parsons Brinckerhoff, Quade, and Douglass, Inc.; and Pacific Rim Resources. NCHRP Report 414: HOV Systems Manual. TRB, Washington, D.C., 1998.
- Kittelson & Associates, Inc.; KFH Group, Inc.; Parsons Brinckerhoff, Quade and Douglass, Inc.; and K. Hunter-Zaworski. TCRP Report 100: Transit Capacity and Quality of Service Manual, 2nd ed. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C., 2003.
- Srinivas, S. The Benefits of Retiming Traffic Signals. ITE Journal, April 2004.
- Kittelson & Associates, Inc. SHRP 2 C05 Working Paper #2: Inventory of Existing Strategies and Tactics. Kittelson & Associates, Inc., Portland, Oregon, 2009.
- Neudorff, L. G., J. E. Randall, R. Reiss, and R. Gordon. Freeway Management and Operations Handbook. FHWA-OP-04-003, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C., September 2003.
- Allaby, P., B. Hellinga, and M. Bullock. Variable Speed Limits: Safety and Operations Impacts of a Candidate Control Strategy for an Urban Freeway. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 8, No. 4, 2007.
- ITRE, “Reliability Methodology for Freeway Facilities in the HCM,” North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 2012.
- Bonneson, J., “Urban Street Travel Time Reliability – Prediction Methodology,” 2011.
- Weather Underground, “Weather History,” 2012. (On-line). (Accessed 23 5 2012).
- California Highway Patrol, “Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS),” (On-line). (Accessed May 2012).
- Kentucky State Police, “Kentucky Collision Analysis for the Public,” (On-line). (Accessed May 2012).
- Skabardonis, A., Petty, K. F., Bertini, R. L., Varaiya, P. P., Noeimi, H., and Rydzewski, D., “The I 880 Field Experiment: Analysis of the Incident Data,” Transportation Research Record, No. 1603, pp. 72 79, 1997.
- “Highway Safety Manual 2010,” American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, 2011.
- “Highway Economic Requirements System – State Version: Technical Report,” Federal Highway Administration, 2005.
- “IDAS User’s Manual,” 2003.
- Yeo, H., Jang, K., Skabardonis, A., and Kang, S., “Impact of Traffic States on Freeway Crash Involvement Rates,” In Press, Accident Analysis and Prevention.
- Raub, R. A. and Schofer, J. L., “Managing Incidents on Urban Arterial Roadways,” Transportation Research Record, No. 1603, pp. 12 19, 1997.