Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule
The Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule (Rule) was published on September 9, 2004 in the Federal Register. All state and local governments that receive federal-aid funding were required to comply with the provisions of the rule no later than October 12, 2007. The Rule updates and broadens the former regulation at 23 CFR 630 Subpart J to address more of the current issues affecting work zone safety and mobility. The changes to the regulation encourage the broader consideration of the safety and mobility impacts of work zones across project development and the implementation of strategies that help manage these impacts during project delivery.
- Examples of Rule Implementation - What agencies are doing to implement the Rule.
- Policy Library - Collection of States Subpart J and K policies.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Questions and answers on a number of topics related to the Rule.
- Implementation Guidance - Guides and other resources to assist with Rule implementation.
- Final Rule Language - Final text of the Rule, as well as the various notices of proposed rulemaking.
- Informational Materials - Brochure, fact sheets, and articles about the Rule.
- Presentations - Presentations on the Rule and implementation practices.
For information on the Temporary Traffic Control Devices Rule (Subpart K), visit the Regulation and Policy page.