Work Zone Best Practices Guidebook
Searchable compendium of work zone operations best practices used by various States and localities around the country. Each practice includes a description of the approach and contact information to find out more from the agency using the practice.
Work Zone Mobility and Safety Fact Sheets
Snapshots of information on activities for improving mobility and safety in our nation's work zones, including lessons-learned, new products/initiatives, and best practices.
Other Best Practice Resources
- Road Safety at Work Zones (PDF 1.3MB) - Report, developed by the European Transport Safety Council, that discusses improving safety for motorists and workers in work zones. The report includes recommendations for practices in the areas of design and construction, contracting, ITS, public information and outreach, and speed management that can help enhance overall safety work motorists and workers.
- Construction Peer Network - A collaboration among the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), American Road and Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA), Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), and FHWA that brings practitioners together to discuss more effective construction practices and learn from each other's experiences. An article in the June 2012 issue of Focus describes the CPN and summarizes the first peer exchange.
- 2009 Domestic Scan of Accelerated Construction Practices (PDF, 19.1MB) – NCHRP report describing accelerated construction best practices and case studies in the areas of partnering, design, planning, and contracting strategies for pavement and bridge construction projects.
- A Guide for Reducing Work Zone Collisions (PDF, 4.3MB) – NCHRP report providing strategies for implementing safety improvements in work zones.
- Colorado Work Zone Best Practices Safety Guide (PDF, 4.1MB) – Provides Colorado DOT employees and contracting partners with the information and tools needed to create a safer work zone.
- Best Practices For Project Construction Streamlining (PDF, 416KB) – Report by the Minnesota Local Road Research Board that examines means of accelerating the road construction cycle.
- NCHRP Report 574: Guidance for Cost Estimation and Management for Highway Projects During Planning, Programming, and Preconstruction (PDF, 7.7MB) – Explores approaches to cost estimation and management designed to overcome the root causes of cost escalation and to support the development of consistent and accurate project estimates.
You will need the Adobe Reader to view the PDFs on this page.