Freight Analysis Framework
The Freight Analysis Framework (FAF) integrates data from a variety of sources to create a comprehensive picture of freight movement among states and major metropolitan areas by all modes of transportation. With data from the 2007 Commodity Flow Survey and additional sources, FAF version 3 (FAF3) provides estimates for tonnage, value, and domestic ton-miles by region of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode for 2007, the most recent year, and forecasts through 2040. Also included are state-to-state flows for these years plus 1997 and 2002, summary statistics, and flows by truck assigned to the highway network for 2007 and 2040.
The 2013 Freight Facts and Figures (HTML, PDF 5.8MB) is now available.
FAF Quarterly Webinar
Please join the Federal Highway Administration's Office of Freight Management and Operations for its third quarterly webinar on the Freight Analysis Framework. Please register by November 3rd.
|Date & Time
||Description of Topic
|November 5, 2014
1:00-2:30 PM Eastern
|Using FAF Data for Freight Planning
||The webinar will feature speakers from the Maryland State Highway Administration, the Coastal Region Metropolitan Planning Organization, and CDM Smith. Speakers will present case studies of how they used FAF data to support State and regional freight planning activities.
This webinar is aimed toward practitioners in State departments of transportation, metropolitan/regional planning organizations, and other agencies with basic or no knowledge of the FAF but who would like to move to the next skill level. This webinar will also provide a useful foundation for other topics covered in future webinars.
Archived FAF Listening Sessions – FHWA offered two listening sessions in December 2013 and January 2014 to obtain feedback on the next generation of the FAF. Recordings of these sessions are available from the links below:
FAF3 Origin-Destination Data
- FAF Data Tabulation Tool – Create and download customized FAF3 summary tables
- Regional Database of tonnage, value, and domestic ton-miles by FAF region of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode for 2007 through 2040
- FAF3 Regional Database for 2007 with forecasts through 2040, and 2012 Provisional Data in zipped Microsoft Access format [faf3_5_access03.zip 233MB]
- FAF3 Regional Data base for 2007 with forecasts through 2040 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5.zip 144MB]
- FAF3 Provisional Annual Data for 2012 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5_prov2012.zip 24MB]
- State Database of tonnage, value, and domestic ton-miles by state of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode for 1997 through 2040. Note: 1997 and 2002 have been reprocessed using FAF3 methodology with original source data.
- FAF3 State Database for 2007 with forecasts through 2040, 2012 Provisional Data, and Reprocessed State Annual Data for 1997 and 2002 in zipped Microsoft Access format [faf3_5_access03state.zip 119MB]
- FAF3 State Database for 2007 with forecasts through 2040 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5_state.zip 179MB]
- FAF3 State Provisional Annual Data for 2012 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5_prov2012state.zip 9MB]
- FAF3 Reprocessed State Annual Data for 1997 in zipped CSV format [faf3_3_1997_state.zip 10MB]
- FAF3 Reprocessed State Annual Data for 2002 in zipped CSV format [faf3_3_2002_state.zip 7MB]
FAF3 Summary Statistics and Products
FAF3 Network Data
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®
If you need the Windows® version of WinZip®, you may download it from http://www.winzip.com/prodpagewz.htm.