Transportation Management Plans: Effectiveness Study Handouts
Transportation Management Plans
Effectiveness Study Handouts
Image: The Caltrans logo—a blue lower-case letter "t" nested within a green lower-case letter "c," on a white background.
- TMP Process
- Relationship between Project Characteristics and TMP Strategies
- Sample Unit Costs for TMP Strategies
- TMP Strategies—Unit cost Info
- Sample Worksheet—Blanket TMP
- Sample Delay Calculations
- Begin Programming Document (i.e. PID/PSR)
- Request TMP data sheet
- What kind of TMP is required?
- If a Major TMP is required, establish the TMP Team (Ops, Design, Engineering Services, Construction, CHP). Proceed to Step 5.
- If a Minor TMP is required, proceed to Step 5.
- If a Blanket TMP is required, proceed with Maintenance or Permits. End of process.
- Prepare TMP data sheet.
- Include TMP "$$$" in Programming Document.
- Project programmed—begin PA/ED stage.
- Refine TMP (Consider Traffic Impact and Constructability of Alternatives).
- Review TMP during PSE and start early TMP elements.
- Begin construction.
- Implement TMP.
- Monitor during construction.
- Modify TMP Strategies as needed.
- Actual delay exceeds threshold criteria.
- Prepare post-closure evaluation statement.
Relationship between Project Characteristics and Appropriate TMP Strategies
|Project Characteristic||Public Information||Motorist Information||Incident Management||Const. Strategies||Demand Management||Alternate Routes|
|Average Daily Traffic|
|Viable Alternate Routes|
|(No Alternate Routes)|
|Public / Media|
|Affected Activity Centers|
|Increase in Accidents|
Slides 5 and 6
The following 6 tables show rough costs for TMP Strategies.
|Hiring Consultant to do PR||$250,000+|
|Mailer (printing)||$0.50-$1.00/1,000 Mailers|
|Mailer (cost to distribute)||$0.34/mailer|
|Flyers (cost to distribute by outside company)||$65/1,000|
|Billboards (+ $1,000 to transfer to vinal)||$2,500/month|
|Press Release, Flyer, Bulletins (Develop, State Force)||$224|
|Newspaper Ad (Black and White, 1/4 pg.)||$6,000/day|
|Newspaper Ad (Black and White, 1/2 pg.)||$12,000/day|
|Newspaper Ad (Black and White, full pg.)||$18,000/day|
|Newspaper Ad (Color, 1/4 pg.)||$8,000/day|
|Newspaper Ad (Color, 1/2 pg.)||$14,000/day|
|Newspaper Ad (Color, full pg.)||$22,000/day|
|Press Conference/Public Meeting (Depends on Location/Room Size)||$0-1,000/day|
|Radio Ad (varies greatly)||$800/minute|
|Telephone Hotline (+$250 Hook-up)||$45/month|
|TV Commercial (Local Cable)||$4,000+|
|TV Commercial (Broadcast Channel)||$20,000+|
|Kiosk Rental (Small)||$1,200/month|
|Kiosk Rental (Large)||$1,500/month|
|Portable CMS (Rental)||$350/day, $1,500/week, $3,500/month|
|Portable Highway Advisory Radio||$60,000/unit|
|Highway Advisory Radio (Super)||$70,000/unit|
|Ground Mounted Signs||$300 each|
|COZEEP/MAZEEP (Two Officers at night)||$1,000/night|
|Freeway Service Patrol (Including admin cost, contingency and CHP dispatch)||$119.07/hr (reg. Time), $116.45/hr (Over Time)|
|Loop Detector||$300 each|
|CCTV||$20,000 to $200,000|
|Traffic Management Team (State Force)||$0|
|Transportation Management Center (State Force)||$0|
|Mobile Command Center (State Furnished)||$0|
|Web Camera||Range between $20,000 to $200,000|
|Movable Concrete Barrier (Rental)||$30/lf|
|Movable Concrete Barrier—Transport Machine (Rental)||$100,000/6 months|
|Gawk Screen (optional)||$3/lf|
|Temporary Signal||$30,000 each|
|Park & Ride||$50/hr|
|Traffic Control Officers||$50/hour|
The following 6 tables provide further details about the unit cost information for TMP Strategies (Source: TMP Effectiveness Study [Wilbur Smith, 1993]).
|Brochures and Mailers||Cost could range between $.40 to $ .50/ brochure for a large quantity.||Variable depending on the text, graphics and presentation quality of the materials produced, numbers printed and distribution methods.|
|Media Releases||Cost varies with labor up to a few hours of labor/ month.||Labor cost associated with TMP personnel interacting with media, as well as time developing press releases.Cost varies with labor up to a few hours of labor/ month.|
|Public Info. Center||Basic cost would range from zero to $1.50 per square foot per month depending on the location.||Basic cost would range from zero to $1.50 per square foot per month depending on the location.Additional costs could include staffing, equipment, furnishings and operating costs.|
|Paid Advertising||The cost depends on newspaper rates in the area, but can range between $100 to $600 for 3 column inches, one time only.|
|Telephone Hotline||Installation: In the range of $100 - $110 for one line
(local access only).
Additional Lines: Approximately $75.00 each.
Monthly Fee: $20.00 plus usage (rates are discounted if over
|Installation: This does not include having the actual line
installed into the location).
Additional Lines: Approximately $75.00 each.
|CMS||$35,000 to $50,000 to purchase depending upon whether installation is permanent or portable; $1,900 to $2,400/ month to lease in 1993 dollars.Annual operating costs can range from $13,000 to $22,000 (1989 dollars) per unit.|
|Signing and Striping||Variable|
|Highway Advisory Radio||$30,000 to $35,000/ spot; $53,000 for portable unit|
|Traffic Monitoring Station||$30,000 per mile|
|Tow Service||Cost/ truck hour of service ranges from $50.00 to $60.00. Annualized cost of $85,000/ vehicle, or about $250/ day.|
|Aerial Surveillance||Ranges from $5,000 to 6,000 per month (based on D 12 project) to $12,000/ month (I-95 project in Florida)|
|Call Boxes||$5,000 to $6,500 for field units (part of construction cost, not TM cost); $25,000 to $32,000 dispatching unit; $500 to $600 annual operating cost/ unit.||Cost could also include telephone message charges and dispatching.|
|COZEEP||$50 to $60/ hour||(Construction Zone Enforcement Enhancement Program)|
|Variable Lanes||Temporary concrete barriers: $15 per linear foot
Traffic cones: $10 each
Channelizers: $35 each
|Project Phasing||Variable depending in the duration of construction, materials used for the stages construction, and additional design fees for preparation of PS & E.|
|Incentive / Disincentive Provisions||$6,000 per day with maximum 5 percent of construction cost for incentive $12,000 per day for disincentive (based on the I-45 project in Houston, Texas).|
|Cost-Plus-Time Bidding||Not Available|
|Owner- Imposed Physical Restrictions||Not Available|
|Use of Owner- Supplied or Stockpiled Materials||Not Available|
|Value Engineering Incentive||Not Available|
|Lane/Ramp Closures||$2,800 per direction per count location||Counts may already be available in District's inventory section|
|Glare/ Gawk Screens||$10 per linear foot to lease, $15 per linear foot to purchase|
|Truck Traffic Restrictions||None|
|Total Facility Closure||Cost for COZEEP depends on extent of closure|
|Lane-By-Lane Rental||Varies, depending on construction engineering costs, traffic control costs and road user costs. This element would typically be funded as part of the construction contract, rather than the TMP.|
|Rideshare Incentives||Vanpooling incentives range from $.19 to $ .62 per vehicle using the corridor (based on ADT).|
|Rideshare Marketing||Unknown.||TMP costs do not differentiate between overall marketing costs and rideshare marketing costs.|
|Park-and Ride Lots||Temporary at- grade parking would cost $1,000 per space with $50/ space with annual maintenance cost.||Variable, depending whether new lots must be acquired or built.|
|Transit Service Improvements||$5.00/ vehicle mile.|
|Transit Incentives||Depends on level of incentive, up to $60/ month is not tax- free|
|High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes||$6,000 per mile for temporary HOV lane.|
|Parking Management/ Pricing||Minimal|
|Ramp Closure and Ramp Metering||$80,000 to $100,000 per ramp for ramp metering.|
|Street Improvements||Approximately $10,000 per intersection.||Variable depending on the magnitude of geometric changes.|
|Traffic Control Improvements||$10,000 to 25,000 per temporary signal or signal modification.|
Example of the Transportation Management Plans "Blanket Closure" Form F
This form asks for the following information:
- Contact Information: Contact Person; Phone (office); Phone (cell)
- Details: District; County; Route; Postmile(s); Number of Lanes Affected; Length of Segment; Location Description; Work Description; Initial Date/Time; Ending Date/Time; Expected Duration; Expected Delay (minutes)
- Blanket TMP Activities (user is asked to check the appropriate boxes): Bridge inspection/repair; Culvert/drainage—cleanout/inspection/repairs; Delineator/Postmile marker repairs/replacement; Ditch and channel work; Driveway construction; Debris/litter removal; Facility patrols and surveillance; Graffiti abatement/cleanup on walls/signs/equipment cabinets; Landscaping (irrigation/vegetation control—spraying, mowing); Lighting repairs/relamping; Non-landscaped area tree/brush/vegetation work; Electrical maintenance; Median barrier/attenuator repairs (off traveled way); Pavement coring/testing; Pavement—minor repairs/replacement; Pavement—grinding operations (AC digouts); Roadside Facilities (Rest Area/Vista Points); Roadside Facilities (Weigh Station/Park and Ride Lot); Restriping; Right-of-Way Fence repair; Safety and Accident investigations; Shoulder area grading for lateral support; Sign repairs/replacement; Sump pump repairs/cleaning; Surveying; Tree maintenance (trimming/pruning); Utilities placement/maintenance
- Facility (user is asked to check the appropriate boxes): Mainline; Auxiliary lane; Median; Shoulder; Bridge; On-ramp; Off-ramp; Connector
- Type of Closure (user is asked to check the appropriate boxes): Lane; Full Freeway; Moving; One-way; Various
- Additional Information: Did you prepare Lane Closure Charts? (user can answer yes or no); Was "Zero delay" goal accomplished? (If not, be sure to specify the expected delay above.) (user can answer yes or no); Are there adjacent Lane Closures in the same corridor? (user can answer yes or no); If Yes, what is the spacing?
Sample Delay Calculations for a Demand vs. Capacity Study
|Percent Passenger Cars||100.0%|
|Number of Lanes Existing||4 Lanes|
|Number of Lanes Open||2 Lanes|
|Cost per Truck||$24/Vehicle-Hour|
|Cost per Passenger Car||$9/Vehicle-Hour|
|Cost for Mixed Flow Traffic||$9/Vehicle-Hour|
|Single-Lane Capacity||1500 Vehicles per hour|
|Open-Lane Capacity||3000 Vehicles per hour|
Count Date: 5-3-2001
|Time||Demand (vehicles)||Cumulative Demand (vehicles)||Cumulative Capacity (vehicles)||Difference (vehicles)||Area (vehicle hours)||Queue Length (miles)||Individual Delay (minutes)|
|Maximum Individual Delay||125 minutes|
|Vehicle Delay Hours||5,436 vehicle-hours|
|Total Cost of Delay||$48,924|
|Delay Cost/10 minutes||$4,077|