Appendix B. Summary of Resources Reported in this Document
- FHWA Work Zone Mobility and Safety Program – numerous resources to help transportation professionals familiarize themselves with work zone planning, analysis, and traffic management and with the current state of the practice on ITS in work zones (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz).
- American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) ITS Council. “ITS Safety and Mobility Solutions: Improving Travel Through Americas Work Zones.” This describes various ITS applications for work zones and potential benefits, considerations for use, and system layouts (http://www.atssa.com/galleries/default-file/2008July21_ITS_Safety_and_Mobility.pdf).
- American Association of State and Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO) – a work zone ITS site as part of its System Operations and Management Subcommittee, including evaluation reports, sample specifications/standards, and drawings (http://ssom.transportation.org/Pages/ITSinWorkZones.aspx).
Published documents and resources to support ITS strategic planning
- “Best Practices of Rural and Statewide ITS Strategic Planning” (http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/jpodocs/repts_te/13608.pdf).
- “Regional ITS Architecture Guidance” by the National Architecture Team (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/regitsarchguide/raguide.pdf).
- The ITS Architecture Implementation Program (http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/its_arch_imp).
- Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA) ITS JPO (http://www.its.dot.gov).
- FHWA guide “Work Zone Public Information and Outreach Strategies” – designed to help agencies plan implement effective public information and outreach campaigns to mitigate the negative effects of work zones (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/info_and_outreach/public_outreach_guide.pdf).
- The FHWA Peer-to-Peer Program for Work Zones – contains materials from a Work Zone ITS Peer Exchange Workshop conducted in May 2013 (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/p2p/index.htm).
Helpful publications for work zone ITS solutions
- “Advancing Metropolitan Planning for Operations: The Building Blocks of a Model Transportation Plan Incorporating Operations – A Desk Reference” (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop10027).
- “Designing for Transportation Management and Operations: A Primer” (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop13013/index.htm).
- The FHWA ATDM program presents numerous strategies that may be effectively utilized in work zones (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop12032).
- The Caltrans “Systems Engineering Guidebook For ITS” (http://www.dot.ca.gov/newtech/docs/se_guidebook_ver1-12_14_05.pdf).
Guidance for the use of work zone safety and mobility performance measures
- “A Primer on Work Zone Safety and Mobility Performance Measurement” offers information for understanding data requirements for generating useful performance measures (http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/resources/publications/fhwahop11033/fhwahop11033.pdf).
- “Work Zone Performance Measures Pilot Test” summarizes lessons learned through the identification and testing of a candidate set of work zone mobility-related performance measures at five projects nationwide (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/resources/publications/fhwahop11022).
- “Guidance on Data Needs, Availability, and Opportunities for Work Zone Performance Measures” provides more in-depth information and guidance on the usefulness of various measures, and the data necessary to develop and use them effectively (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/decision_support/performance-development.htm).
Use of private sector data for work zone performance measurement
- Middleton, D. et al. Synthesis of TxDOT Uses of Real-Time Commercial Traffic Data. Report No. FHWA/TX-12/0-6659-1. Texas Transportation Institute, College Station, TX. January 2012.
- Edwards, M.B. and M.D. Fontaine. Investigation of Travel Time Reliability in Work Zones with Private-Sector Data. In Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board No. 2272. TRB of the National Academies, Washington, DC. 2012. pp. 9-18.
- Turner, S. et al. Private Sector Data for Performance Measurement – Final Report. Report No. FHWA-HOP-11-029. FHWA, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, DC. July 2011.
Professional development in work zone ITS
- The National Highway Institute (NHI) offers courses addressing a wide variety of aspects of ITS, including systems engineering, project management, telecommunications, software acquisition, and ITS procurement (http://www.pcb.its.dot.gov).
- Web-based courses are available through the Consortium for ITS Training and Education (CITE, http://www.citeconsortium.org).
- LTAP resources are also available for work zones and ITS (http://www.ltap.org/resources/searchdbs.php).
Helpful resources for evaluating and comparing options for ITS deployment
- Benefit/cost analysis is one useful tool in evaluating and comparing multiple options for ITS deployment, including the option not to deploy ITS in the work zone at all. The ITS Benefits and Costs Database (www.benefitcost.its.dot.gov) can be a useful resource. The database includes unit cost data for many of the ITS items related to work zones.
- The ITS Deployment Analysis System (IDAS) is a software tool that estimates the costs and benefits of ITS investments (http://idas.camsys.com).
- QuickZone is a spreadsheet developed by the FHWA, which provides a general and quick work zone traffic impact analysis capability (Information at: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/research/topics/operations/travelanalysis/quickzone/, available for purchase at: http://mctrans.ce.ufl.edu)
- The FHWA Traffic Analysis Toolbox includes guides for work zone modeling and simulation (http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficanalysistools).
- Criteria for Portable ATIS [Advanced Traveler Information Systems] in Work Zones: Lane Merge, Travel Time and Speed Advisory Systems, Horowitz, 2005 (http://www.ctre.iastate.edu/smartwz/details.cfm?projectid=10)
- Operational and Safety Benefits of Using ITS in Work Zones, Fontaine, 2005 (http://ssom.transportation.org/Pages/Sept2005Workshop.aspx)
- The USDOT ITS Joint Program Office (USDOT ITS JPO) has developed the ITS Evaluation Resource Guide to assist agencies in conducting evaluations of ITS projects (http://www.its.dot.gov/eval/eguide_resguide.htm).
- The work zone performance measures primer is a useful source of information for understanding data requirements for generating useful performance measures (http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/resources/publications/fhwahop11033/fhwahop11033.pdf).
- The “Operations Benefit/Cost Analysis Desk Reference” might also serve as useful guidance for benefit-cost analyses (http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop12028).
You may need the Adobe® Reader® to view the PDFs on this page.< Previous | Next >