FHWA National Dialogue on Highway Automation
June 26-27, 2018
Printable Version [PDF 114KB]
You may need the Adobe® Reader® to view the PDFs on this page.
Contact Information: HighwayAutomation@dot.gov
Small Group Session 1, Section 1: Policy Issues and Challenges
- From your perspective, what is the biggest policy challenge for enabling automation on the roadways?
- What current legislation, regulations, and/or State programs constrain or enable AV operations, maintenance, or investment?
- What are the potential impacts of AVs to system users? What are the policy questions in this area?
Small Group Session 1, Section 2: Planning Issues and Challenges
- What is the most important issue facing the transportation planning community as it relates to AVs?
- What are the potential effects of AVs on transportation mode choice and travel behavior over time?
- How can planning prepare for a safe and efficient integration of Automated Vehicles into the roadway system?
Small Group Session 2, Section 1: Policy Opportunities
- What types of scenario planning activities would be helpful in understanding modal interactions with AVs?
- How could AVs affect transportation funding and revenues? What are the challenges and opportunities?
- What challenges or opportunities do rural areas provide for AV implementation?
Small Group Session 2, Section 2: Planning Opportunities
- What planning practices will help make confident decisions despite rapid technological evolution?
- What are the planning issues in relation to each of the National Dialogue focus areas (Digital Infrastructure and Data, Freight, Operations, Infrastructure Design and Safety)?
- What questions have we missed that need to be discussed?