Access Management Publications & Resources
- AM Principles Presentation (HTML, PPT 1.9MB)
- Access Management Overview 1997 (video) - is available on CD by
contacting Neil Spiller.
- Tri-fold brochure "Benefits of Access Management" (HTML, PDF 813KB) - A layman's introduction to Access Management (AM) principles. Excellent for handing out at public meetings or introducing the purpose of AM. Small quantities available free by request, or you may wish want to download this, reproduce it, and then hand it out at a public meeting, or use it as educational material. Note: this product dates to 2003 but the principles therein remain timely. Contact Neil Spiller.
- Policy - Additional Interchanges to the Interstate System (HTML, DOC 39KB)
- Guidance - Interstate System Access Informational Guide (August 2010) (PDF 1.1MB)
- 2007 Compendium of Access Management tools.
- "Access Management, Location, and Design" 3-day classroom course
for agencies. Contact National
- "Safe Access is Good for Business" is a CD and brochure
compendium targeted at business concerns. Contact Neil
- "Safe Access is Good for Business" Brochure (Primer) - The purpose of this document is to assuage business owner's fears that a change in access (e.g., removal or relocation of a driveway(s), restriction in turning movements, etc.) as the result of an adjacent roadway improvement project is not "the" wholly determinant influence on the continuing success of that business.
The Resources section
of the TRB
committee web site provides much information including "The
10 Principles of Access Management", an interactive graphic, and
the 2006 CD-Rom Library, which contains a wealth of access management
documents and resources. National conference proceedings dating from
1993 are included, as well as the leading handbooks and papers from
around the country.
The 2007 version contains the proceedings from the 7th National
Access Management Conference (Park City, UT, August 2006) as well as
ALL the prior proceedings from the 1993, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, and
2004 conferences, plus a dozen NCHRP Syntheses reports pertaining to
AM, plus the FHWA video "Safe Access is Good for Business", plus the
Utah DOT video "Benefits
of Raised Medians".
This Manual provides technical information on access management techniques,
together with information on how access management programs can be
effectively developed and administered. For more information about
the Manual or to purchase the Manual visit the TRB
Bookstore. The manual costs $80 (hardcopy) or $60 (CD-rom).
National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Publications
The publications listed below can be found at http://books.trbbookstore.org/
Synthesis of Highway Practices
- Access Management on Crossroads in the Vicinity of Interchanges,
- Land Development Regulations that Support Access Management, SYH
- Driveway Regulation Practices, SYH 304
- Circular 456, Driveway and Street Intersection Spacing
- NCHRP Report 304, Driveway Regulation Practices
- NCHRP Report 337, Cooperative Agreements for Corridor Management
- NCHRP Report 348, Access Management Guidelines for Activity Centers
- NCHRP Report 351, Access Rights: A Synthesis of Highway Practice
- NCHRP Report 395, Capacity and Operational Effect of Midblock LT's
- NCHRP Report 420, Impacts of Access Management Techniques
- NCHRP Report 524, Safety of U-Turns at Unsignalized Median Openings
- NCHRP Report 548, A Guidebook for Including Access Management in
Note: Many of the above titles are inclusively contained in the Access
Management CD Library.