Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule
The Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule (Rule) was published on September 9, 2004 in the Federal Register. All state and local governments that receive federal-aid funding were required to comply with the provisions of the rule no later than October 12, 2007. The Rule updates and broadens the former regulation at 23 CFR 630 Subpart J to address more of the current issues affecting work zone safety and mobility. The changes to the regulation encourage the broader consideration of the safety and mobility impacts of work zones across project development and the implementation of strategies that help manage these impacts during project delivery.
- Final Rule Language – Final text of the Rule, as well as the notices of proposed rulemaking.
- Frequently Asked Questions – Questions and answers on the Rule.
- Guidance and Other Technical Resources – Guidance documents, brochures, factsheets, and toolboxes to assist with Rule implementation.
- Implementation Examples – What agencies are doing to implement the Rule.
- Informational Materials – Articles, presentations, and webinars about the Rule and implementation practices.
For information on the Temporary Traffic Control Devices Rule (Subpart K), visit the Regulation and Policy page.