This document summarizes the background, development, and assessment of the prototype development phase of the Weather Response System (WRS). The document describes:
- The objectives and background to the development of the prototype WRS;
- The evolution of the prototype WRS, including changes that were made to the system as a result of use and/or reviews by Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), and National Weather Service (NWS) personnel; and
- The results of an operational assessment exercise conducted with MoDOT and FHWA personnel.
The operational assessment exercise identified suggested changes and enhancements that could be made to the prototype WRS to increase its value as a traffic operations, maintenance operations, construction operations, and customer service tool. These recommendations could serve as the basis of a further design and development phase to the WRS.
1.2 Definitions, Acronyms, and Abbreviations
This document may contain terms, acronyms, and abbreviations that are unfamiliar to the reader. A dictionary of these terms, acronyms, and abbreviations can be found in Appendix A.
- "Missouri Weather Response System, Concept of Operations," Mixon/Hill, Inc., November 2004.
- "Missouri Weather Response System, System Architectural Description," Mixon/Hill, Inc., December 2004.
- "Missouri Weather Response System, System Requirements Specification," Mixon/Hill, Inc.