7.13 Best PracticesAll of the incidents reviewed used some best practices regarding evacuation management to a degree. The following best practices were identified based on the interviews.
- Ability to change procedures on the fly
- Communication workarounds
- Controlling a potential chaotic scene with evacuation procedures
- Daily meetings
- Fact sheets and press briefings
- Joint information center
- Pet unification plan
- Placement of an incident command quickly
- Town hall meetings
- Training, including tabletop exercises
- Unified incident command
- Use of the 2-1-1 system for human and volunteer services
- Use of an incident command
- Use of the national incident management system.
February 6, 2006