6.16 Improvements for Next TimeSome improvements have been identified based on the incident.
- Evacuate residents off the mountain and not up the mountain. Communities to the west of Big Bear Valley evacuated to the valley, which in turn was itself evacuated. Some people evacuated twice.
- Have full-scale training exercise with multiple entities, including the hospital and transit agencies.
- Have written agreements with nursing homes and/or hospitals for the settlement of patients/residents.
- Provide traffic information that can be accessed by driver handheld devices.
- “Wire” the valley for ITS technology.
February 6, 2006