4.16 Improvements for Next TimeThe Graniteville incident overall had a successful evacuation of residents and mill workers; however, unfortunately, there were deaths and injuries attributed to the incident. Some improvements have been identified based on the incident.
- Direct evacuees to public shelters, if this information is known ahead of time.
- Ensure that residents without transportation are evacuated.
- Ensure the 2-1-1 system can be accessed from cell phones.
- Ensure the 2-1-1 system has all of the information needed to provide social service information to evacuees and the general public.
- Establish an incident command center without internal bickering; this may be improved through the use of regular training sessions.
- Have joint multiple-entity training including Emergency Operations and Incident Command.
February 6, 2006