Night Work/Off Peak Work
High traffic volumes on many highways make it difficult to perform work zone operations in or near travel lanes during much of the day because of the disruption in traffic flow and the risk this introduces for the workers and the traveling public. As a result of these concerns, all kinds of highway work are increasingly scheduled for off-peak periods, particularly at night, to alleviate the problems associated with working in traffic.
Deciding When to Use Night Work
- NCHRP Report 475, "A Procedure for Assessing and Planning Nighttime Highway Construction and Maintenance" (462KB PDF) - Presents a decision process to assist highway agencies in evaluating night work alternatives against other work schedules
- NCHRP Report 627, "Traffic Safety Evaluation of Nighttime and Daytime Work Zones" (PDF 3MB) - The findings of this report conclude that work activities that require temporary lane closures on moderate to high-volume roadways have substantially lower total safety impact to the motoring public if the work is done at night.
Work Zone Traffic Control and Operations at Night
- A Guidebook for Nighttime Construction: Impacts on Safety, Quality, and Productivity (PDF 5.3MB) - NCHRP report that provides suggested guidance on the conduct of nighttime highway construction and maintenance operations and addresses work-zone risk analysis planning and implementation, construction nuisances to both neighbors and workers, and work-zone illumination methods.
- Improving Night Work Zone Traffic Control (PDF 132KB) - Results of Virginia DOT study to examine traffic control for night work zones from the perspective of both agencies and motorists.
- Improving the Effectiveness of Nighttime Temporary Traffic Control Warning Devices - Developed by the Illinois Center for Transportation at the University of Illinois
- Volume 1: Evaluation of Lights on Nighttime Work Zone Channelization Devices (PDF 849KB) - Discusses the effectiveness of warning lights on nighttime work zone channelization devices, such as drums and barricades.
- Volume 2: Evaluation of Nighttime Mobile Warning Lights (PDF 833KB) - Discusses the effectiveness of warning lights on nighttime highway operations, including mobile lane closures, incident responses, and police activities.
- Traffic Control Handbook for Mobile Operations at Night (PDF 772KB) - Synthesis of practices for performing mobile highway operations at night.
- Working Safely at Night - Traffic Control Guidelines (PDF 12MB) - Presentation from American Road and Transportation Builders Association 2004 National Work Zone Conference.
Lighting and Visibility
- Illumination Guidelines for Nighttime Highway Work - NCHRP report providing guidelines to assist in planning, designing, and operating nighttime highway work zone lighting systems.
- Worker Safety and Visibility Brochure (HTML, PDF 160KB)
Example Specifications for Nighttime Operations
- Nighttime Construction: Developing a Specification for Road Work at Night - Describes the specification developed by the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Public Works to address the special concerns of working at night.
- Safer Nighttime Construction Zones Through Better Lighting (PDF 133KB) - Describes the lighting specification for nighttime construction developed by the Illinois DOT.
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®